Frustrated at Canon's Factory Service

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jayson A New Member • Posts: 9
Frustrated at Canon's Factory Service

At the beginning of October, I noticed some dust specks in my viewfinder, so naturally, I grabbed my little hand blower thingie and tried to blast them away. Well, it only made it worse because my blower is quite old and I think the rubber is coming off of it. Anyways, now I had black specks that were sharp and more in focus. So I took a cotton swab and VERY GENTLY tapped the focus screen to try to remove the specks and now I had little pieces of cotton on my focus screen! ARGH! So I stopped messing with it and contacted Canon for a cleaning.

I sent my Canon Rebel SL3 to Canon and paid the $63 plus paid for shipping and insurance on the shipment. They received my camera, cleaned it and it was back in my hands almost a week later. Great.

When I opened the package the first thing I did was look through the viewfinder and lo and behold, there was still something there, but it wasn't a spec or a piece of cotton, it was a hard line right inside the center dot's square. I thought maybe it was a tiny hair or something, so I contacted Canon AGAIN and complained that they didn't clean the whole thing like they said. The person understood and sent me a shipping label to have my SL3 serviced again (because they offer a 6 month warranty on all repairs). So I said, sure what the hell could it hurt. I'll tell them the exact issue and they'll fix it for free. Awesome.

A few days later, they looked at my camera and sent me a quote for $103 to fix it. Well, I'm not paying anything since it was their fault in the first place, so I called them up again to see what was going on. They understood and saw that the camera was just there a week earlier for the first cleaning. They agreed that it should be free and sent me another email for $0 for the repair.

A day later, the repair was complete and the camera was shipped back to me.

Well, I just got my camera today and guess what... nothing has changed. It's still exactly the same, except all of my settings are reset for the second time in a row.

Below is the best picture I could get with my iPhone looking into the viewfinder. I guess to some it's not really a big deal and it doesn't affect pictures, but the fact that I sent it there and even wrote on the repair sheet where exactly the issue was and they sent it back saying it was "fixed" is the part that bothers me. They could've at least told me that there was no way to fix that.

I feel like I wasted MY time and THEIR time with this whole thing, plus I had to go another whole week without my camera and that was hard.

I know there are worse things to worry about, but I literally just got this camera and I wasn't ready for it being damaged so soon. Guess I'll just have to live with my eff up.

Thanks for reading my story if you got this far.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow