Deminishing returns.....

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Kemo-sabe Junior Member • Posts: 39
Re: I Guaranty There's a Whole Lot More There...

Astrozoid wrote:

Kemo-sabe wrote:

Astrozoid wrote:

jasonm10 wrote:

Boy, this is a great thread. Not only am I learning about post processing, we are learning how to handle files and stuff.

Can't wait until Astrozoid gets the correct file and plays with it. I think Kemo-sabe is going to be thrilled because there's probably a lot more data there he didn't know to process.

Well, I am sorry to disappoint.

This was what I got out of the original DSS stack.

This is a mess.

It was not calibrated correctly.

No, It is not a mess to me. It lets me know I'm doing something wrong. Maybe the 16.5 hours of data is good or not. That doughnut has been driving me crazy.

However your skills post processing is extraordinary. I have not been able to get that level of detail to date.

I must say Thank You, Jerry.

This reminds me of a statement my Mentor once said to me, "Bob Johnson, all data is not good data it is up to you to know the difference."

Looks like I did not know the difference in good data vs bad data in astrophotography.

Garbage in Garbage out, lol.....:-O Which leads to the question: What caused the bad calibration? I did not calibrate any frames (subs). I used in camera dark frame extraction (LENR).

Did the LENR cause the mis-calibration or are my setting wrong in DSS

You did a lot right. But there should be more there for 26 hours with a filter.

You did not use any calibration frames at all?

It absolutely needs flats and bias. But, with LENR the bias has already been subtracted, and that is baked into the raw. So, you will need flatdarks for the flats for DSS.

And it looks like the black point was set incorrectly in deep Sky stacker but that's just a wild guess. it's possible that a lot of other settings were wrong in there also.

I have an article on how to use deep Sky stacker on my website here:

https://www.astropix.com/html/j_digit/using_deepskystacker.html

Jerry

I did not use any calibration frames.  I only used LENR in camera. I will see if I can produce flatdarks.  Most of my imaging was done in the winter months.  It is not quite cool enough to generate the flatdarks seeing that I image with uncooled 5D MKII and 5D MKIII.  This would be a good time to have a temperature controlled 5d for those flatdarks. lol

Thank You, for your analysis Jerry. I will read your articles. I have been to your site before and learned quite a bit over there. Your work is most impressive.

I hope that I have not ruined my data. I have >2.5 years of data from various DSO , months of subs per object. It would be a shame to loose that much data. But it is what it is. All part of the learning curve. Good Day sir and Thanks again.....

R.H. Johnson II

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow