Nikon vs Sony and Canon

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Nickemmano Forum Member • Posts: 63
Re: Nikon vs Sony and Canon

Andre Yew wrote:

I'd love to give you a definitive answer, but I can't because those systems are more alike than not, and it will be your personal preferences for handling, processing workflow, etc. that's going to make one system work better than another for you.

For example, I shoot landscape with only primes (and odd ones at that), so our shooting styles are so different that what I like probably isn't applicable to you. If someone handed me a 70-200/2.8, it would probably gather dust in my closet, etc.

If these were normal times, I'd recommend trying out the systems at least at a store, but right now that's really tough.

Since you're coming from Nikon, I'd guess that you'd be most comfortable with the Z's handling: they've really managed to preserve a lot of the Nikon-ness of their DSLRs in the Z.

If you want 3rd party lens choices, then Sony is it right now, and that will probably be true going forward for quite a while. Sigma, Tamron, and Voigtlander are all making very interesting lenses pretty much exclusively for FE-mount, and if those lenses are interesting to you, then Sony's probably your choice. You can adapt a large number of FE lenses to Nikon Z with full functionality, but you can't to Canon R.

I understand the difficulty. I am considering primes especially on the wide end which i dont particularly like. but the ease of use of the 70-200 is really important to me. i shoot a lot at those ranges and i enjoy the compression. but i do understand why you would choose primes. as you see i consider a lot of lenses especially primes. i shoot mostly at 24 and 35. 70-200 are all over the place so a zoom makes sense. if you have an argument towards primes at the tele please tell me. i would love to hear your opinion and maybe simplify my life and perhaps have a breath of fresh air in my photography

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow