It would be nice if

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 5,008
Re: Op cit. (Image of cemetery contains two flags.)

abiquiuense wrote:

embie wrote:

"I think it's very nice, also, if, . . . " y'all give me feedback on my image.

I would be very happy to, but I am not sure which one you are referring to. There was a beautifully evocative black and white you posted recently, but I can't now find which thread it was in. Would you mind re-posting here?

They are called "descansos." The subject in question, may have been photographed around 1901. It appears in a B/W image, in the Milwaukee image system. That photographer evaded the more "modern" iconography and opted for images best digested in the NY magazines.

Anyway; refer to your PM, if you're wondering why I posted here. On the day that I photographed the subject, I also photoed this one. It's a snow-covered landscape with a wee bit of color. If you read the inscription; the man would have been born around that time that Marshall rendered his decision in U.S. v Percheman; 1832, and in which he opined about the sovereign changing hands.

myDNA is in many of these bones, and up on top of the mesas, even more bones, yet to be discovered. (Eagle Who Keeps Ten Crows Fed, made me say that.)

This is the Pueblo of Abiquiu's second of three cemeteries. The first one is next to the current church site. The rich invaded the pueblo, in full force, around Mexico's "Cry of Sorrows." The new laws made encroachment on indigenous lands, all the more easier, for the elite, of this area. They started building this cemetery, about the time that they pulled the wool over the eyes; literally. The region was known for its wool industry.

So, they bought fancy monuments.

R2 - C3PO'd

This is fascinating history that is lovely to read and a beautiful image - thank you for sharing both.

The grounds upon which this cemetery rests were called "Los Jardines de Moque." That translates as "the Gardens of the Hopi." MyGParents are memorialized over there, where visibility becomes noise.

Wow. That has my mind spinning, in a very good way. Thank you for sharing this too.

If you adjust your rabbit ears, through the noise, you'll hear some of my ancestors ask; "Why did the Pueblo of Abiquiu drop from the view of the federal agents?"

I like the OP's idea also; op cit, by me, some time ago.

abiquiuense

-- hide signature --

"You should take photos of whatever you want. That's punk" - Joe Strummer

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D50 Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Fujifilm X-T1 +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow