For the weary pro (pocket)

Started 9 months ago | User reviews thread
OP RLight Senior Member • Posts: 2,946
Re: For the weary pro (pocket)

ElusivePhoton wrote:

RLight wrote:

The G5X Mark II does have an auto-closing lens cover... And it's very useful I might add.

Yes - that's why I'm so keen on that camera!

Perhaps you can help assuage a concern I have -- I am checking out a G7X mk III currently and there is a surprising and annoying lag of a half-second between pressing the shutter and the image being displayed on the LCD for review. (The screen continues to act like a viewfinder during this interval; if it briefly went black or something that at least might be a little less annoying.) This is not affected by image resolution or JPG versus RAW usage, etc.; I am not aware of any setting that can eliminate this. Never have I ever seen any camera behave like this. I also discovered the SX740 seems to behave similarly. I'm trying to figure out if this is a result of Canon firmware circa 2019, and whether they might fix it in the future, or whether this might be regarded as desirable behavior for whatever reason.

Does the G5X mk II have this lag? Are you using Firmware 1.1 or an earlier version?

The G7X III should perform identically to the G5X Mark II; same sensor, firmware revision and DIGIC8 processor.

However, try disabling image review, if it isn't already disabled.

I can't say I've seen the problem you're describing on my model, btw. Is this a demo in a store? If yes, try resetting it to factory defaults, or, putting in "Auto" mode as those will clear up anything unusual that may have been set by folks playing with the camera before you. I've had similar stories in Best Buy with many Canon's that were setup in unusual configurations I'd never use like Dual Pixel RAW (no offense to those who use it, but it's a gimmick in my book that cuts your FPS down drastically), or incredibly low ISO or shutter speeds that need to be set to auto, etc etc.

RLight's gear list:RLight's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS R Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow