The best of the E-M1 Series

Started Nov 3, 2020 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
joeletx Veteran Member • Posts: 3,709
The best of the E-M1 Series

I could not resist the $400 promotion from B&H so I clicked the buy button. This was four weeks before our family planned trip to Cabo San Lucas which I intended to take the new camera with. As it turned out, we cancelled the trip mainly due to airline new regulation to pack the planes starting the end of October; other factor was concerned with CDC regulation that prevent us to flight back in event if any family member tested positive of Covid-19.

So I had some times to play with he new camera and found the Mark-III exceeds well beyond my targeted expectations. In planning for the trip, I mainly wanted three new Mark-II features; the 120 fps video, Live ND, and the joy stick.

I was going to buy the Mark-III as what could be the last great Olympus legacy, and I was waiting for the price to fall, black Friday and such. What has also hold me back was mainly no-resolution-gain from the already excellent Mark-II.

• FHD 120 fps video for very slow motion; I successfully took video of water drop.
  • Live ND; I took picture birdbath water fountain and it works very well.
  • Much improved face and eye detections. I never got eye detection with the Mark-II. The Mark-III can detect eyes from a distance which the Mark-II gave up. Now I know what Sony shooter were bragging about.
  • The joystick help a great deal in moving focus point to targets or detected faces.
  • Improved what seems like DR and tone curve to reserve shadow. I don't need to shoot ETTR as much.
  • IO.Share on my Android is much more responsive which I have no idea why, but it worked much better than with the Mark-II. IO-Share found the Mark-III every time I activated the WIFI connection.
  • Movie can now activated and shot "Live View" mode for unlimited time length, it seems. I shot several 15 minutes videos and it seem doing fine. All RAW, JPG, and MOV movie footages can now be transfer to my S8+ without a single problem.

Dislikes:

• None so far.

I will continue to experiment with other features in coming weeks. Wow! I am overwhelmed with the new Mark-III. For me, this is the best ever Olympus camera.

joeletx's gear list:joeletx's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 +8 more
Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III
20 megapixels • 3 screen • Four Thirds sensor
Announced: Feb 12, 2020
joeletx's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
great
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
great
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow