Magnar W
Magnar W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,495
Re: Grain from a Sony A7iii

Moses wrote:

Magnar W wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

gezzamondo wrote:

kind of.

I thought one of Sonys biggest selling points was that it could handle low light /high iso without causing too much grain?

Is better to over expose and reduce the hightlights to prevent grain then?

You will get blown highlights if you over-expose. It's easier to lift shadows and fix the noise than it is to recover blown highlights.

Expose so that you can recover the highlights, not more or less. This is about 1.5 to 2 stop more than the right edge of the in-camera jpg histrogram shows. Expose like this, then the shadow data will follow as nicely as possible.

If even more shadow detail is needed, make an extra exposure and run HRD post processing.

Whoa! This is a new concept to me. I know about ETTR which I use. Do you mean that, using the live histogram, you expose until there there is something almost touching the right edge (highlight) AND THEN YOU ADD ANOTHER 1.5 stops of exposure to that so that the graph is 'blown' but in reality your RAW sensor is still registering actual data?

Yup, this is ETTR for raw files.

Tis is how you take adventage of the full dynamic range of the sensor. If you don't need all this DR, you at least get as clean exposure as possible.

And is this a commonly known technique? This is fascinating as I have never heard of this before.

Yes, this is how ETTR have been used by raw shooters for decades.

Magnar W's gear list:Magnar W's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 35 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow