Downgrading (... or rather upgrading) from A6500 to A6400

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Purplegreen Regular Member • Posts: 147
Downgrading (... or rather upgrading) from A6500 to A6400

Since my daughter (now 3 yrs old) started moving a lot, I became aware of how badly the autofocus in my A6500 was struggling to keep up with a wild and uncooperative fast-moving subject.

And because I shoot my daughter 95 % of the time I recently sold my A6500 and got a second-hand A6400 almost for the same price. Another reason for the switch was the plummeting prices of the A6500 in the used market.

This may not be of interest to many of you. At the end of the day we all have different needs. But for shooters of fast-moving subjects the improvements are phenomenal. The A6400 features some minor changes like the new "my menu" option, better color science, more reliable white balance. However the huge difference is of course real-time tracking. As many reviewers and youtubers have underlined ad nauseam, it removes one crucial aspect to worry about while shooting. And the ability to engage it with the (improved) touch screen is a game-changer.

I don't miss IBIS, which incidentally is very power-hungry, and I can easily cope with one less custom button. To me this felt more like an upgrade than a downgrade.

Purplegreen's gear list:Purplegreen's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8
Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow