Sony 24-105 f4 G vs. Sony 24-70 f2.8 GM... flickr bias

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
OP charley5 Senior Member • Posts: 2,336
Re: Sony 24-105 f4 G vs. Sony 24-70 f2.8 GM... flickr bias

TittyTwister wrote:

After years and shelfes of lenses you realize that sharpess is needed up to a point and each lens render images differently. This is what is more important and the pleasure you get from using it.

Even the worst of modern lenses like the sony 50 f1.8 is already super sharp.

The only reason you might want ultra sharp lenses is when cropping, printing or you are a pro. Most of pro landscape photographers shoot with lenses you would not even believe.

What counts is the image character.

I still use a lot my nikon AIS 50mm f1.2 and I love it after 30 years. I dont care about sharpess when downsampling to 4k images. They are all the same ones gone tru capture one.

Yes, you are totally right about that regard. It is the lens character that I find critical. Some lenses are very sharp but have a very clinical character. For instance I have the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton. Extremely sharp but looks very clinical to my eye. I started using cine lenses for portraits because they have a charming look, and I love that. I use projection lenses for macro images because they also have a special character that is hard to define. So for me, image quality (IQ) is about 50% sharpness and 50% character.

-Charles

charley5's gear list:charley5's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R III Zeiss Otus 55mm F1.4 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow