For the weary pro (pocket)

Started 9 months ago | User reviews thread
Confusedabit Senior Member • Posts: 1,533
Re: For the weary pro (pocket)

Rohith Thumati wrote:

Confusedabit wrote:

It is interesting how Panasonic have output a raft of different touch screen cameras with 1" yet Sony really just churn out much of the same with just a faster focus and the latest sensor.

Touchscreen criticism aside, I’m not sure that’s quite fair to Sony. They’ve had 3 completely different lenses across the 9 different RX100/ZV-1 models (I may be missing a variation in there; their naming conventions are terrible). They’ve also had 2 different lenses for the RX10 line, and the RX0 action camera line. Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t see Panasonic doing all that much better:

DPReview List of Panasonic Compact Cameras

DPReview List of Sony Compact Cameras

It took them a heap of time in the RX100 to break out of the 70mm barrier and Panasonic were well ahead of them there. The release prices also are pretty mind boggling also and the persistence of old models just makes assessing what does what a constant nightmare. I wish they would trim down the range but they are struggling with costs obviously and running old lines keeps the low end going.

The average CIPA embarkation fixed camera cost was $264 in Jun but $208 in August from my calculations. Are Sony or any of them really shifting much of this exotic stuff? It does not make any sense looking at these numbers. The HX400V surprisingly holds up well with the current SX70 in comparator images and they probably just sell a load of these more than anything else though anyone wanting to post an image will see they will just get a lecture on the wonders of the 1" sensor and not bother.

I am intrigued to see the different in value of kit talked about on these forums and that out there with silent users looking at what they are paying. Even with dealers markup it is difficult to see much current Sony or any other makers top end kit out there. 1" generates a lot of talk but how much money it makes is as always a mystery in the secretive camera industry.

I would be interested in your views on this.

Confusedabit's gear list:Confusedabit's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon PowerShot SX620 HS Nikon Coolpix A1000 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-PL8 +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow