iPad Pro - a new future for my hobby

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Andy Hewitt Veteran Member • Posts: 4,335
Re: iPad Pro - a new future for my hobby

P Harg wrote:

Andy, I have approximately the same number of photos as you in my Photos system library.

This is held locally on my iMac at the moment.

Can't remember if I have asked before, but I want all my photos to be in iCloud and to keep the originals on my iMac.

Yes, go into Photos Preferences and turn off ‘Optimise Storage’. That will then upload images and keep the originals stored locally (space permitting).

I know this is possible.. I know it will take a long time to upload 50,000+ files.

Depends on your Internet speed, mine took a few days to upload (600GB), at Fibre Broadband speeds of 67Mbps download and 19Mbps upload. It can take another few days/weeks (depending on device performance) to complete ‘curating’, the new IPad Pro took a few days, my old 2013 iMac took a couple of weeks.

When I switch on iCloud photos, will it keep all my images on my iMac or does the process involve the files uploading, being deleted on the iMac, and then them being downloaded to the iMac. It seems a crazy way to work that way, but crazier things do happen.

If you turn on ‘optimising’ it works like that.

My reasons for asking:

1.should anything untowards happens during the many days of uploading, I would still want access to all my files locally, and

Well, remember to set up a good backup first as well. My images are still stored in my Adobe cloud, and on a few separate local hard drives too (outside the Photos library).

2. What happens during the days of uploading to iCloud - can it all cope with new photos being imported directly to the iMac or from my iPhone to iCloud?

Yes, the uploading takes place in the background, and in fact you can even quit Photos, as it has a system level process that does all the work behind the scenes.

Hope all that makes sense!

seems to :-).

Many thanks,

HTH

-- hide signature --

Andy H

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow