Water: long or short exposure?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Quarkcharmed
OP Quarkcharmed Contributing Member • Posts: 654
Re: Water: long or short exposure?

Great examples. I agree with the short exposure on the waterfall with water spray and mist - in that case it does show the power. The second example, not so much in my opinion, the water looks frozen and not how we actually see it, I'd probably do a 0.2-1s exposure in that case.

With the seascapes and waves/splashes I prefer exposures around 0.5-1s as that timing shows the motion the best to me. In my case on that location, the surf wasn't very powerful, had it been more powerful my equipment wouldn't have survived on the rock were I was standing and I'm not sure about myself.

So yeah I rather tried to show the mood/atmosphere and not the power of the surf.

richj20 wrote:

Quarkcharmed wrote:

This scene suggests the power and fury of the water crashing against the rocks. For me, a faster shutter speed would better capture the feeling.

A couple of examples:

Of course, if your intention is to create a different mood, then your example works fine!

- Richard

Quarkcharmed's gear list:Quarkcharmed's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow