Mitakon ZhongYi lens design adoption by other photo brands

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
JayPhizzt Senior Member • Posts: 1,756
Re: Mitakon ZhongYi lens design adoption by other photo brands

Aoi Usagi wrote:

Actually I have, obviously. The main problem with these double gauss formulas is spherical aberrations which reduces sharpness, especially in the corners. I have never specifically said anything about center sharpness. They will never be as sharp as complex modern day lenses which correct for these aberrations. Of course, you opinion of "definitely good" may differ from mine, so take it with a grain of salt. To be quite honest, I get sharper images with a Canon FL 55mm F1.2 on a Mitakon Lens Turbo II (which has a similar optical formula when combined), as well as being better built and more affordable.

I'm not saying Mitakon is bad, because the Lens Turbo is great, but their lenses are lack luster for their price point.

The technical image quality of the Mitakon is of course not as good as my Fuji lenses for example, but it's a lens capable of absolutely stunning results much thank to it's beautiful color rendition, shallow depth of field and wonderful bokeh.

And just as a couple of points of reference I have both the Fujinon 16/1.4 and 80mm macro which are both VERY sharp lenses, especially the 80mm which is insanely sharp and I still find the Mitakon to be more than sharp enough wide open. And like I said, the corner sharpness is indeed bad, but that's quite irrelevant since you won't notice it in oof shots.

JayPhizzt's gear list:JayPhizzt's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow