Mitakon ZhongYi lens design adoption by other photo brands

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Aoi Usagi Senior Member • Posts: 2,317
Re: Mitakon ZhongYi lens design adoption by other photo brands

JayPhizzt wrote:

Aoi Usagi wrote:

This is not surprising. Most of those fast chinese lenses are old double gauss (Biotar/Planar) formula lenses that has been used for probably a century, but with a built in speedbooster/focal reducer at the back end. That's how they get those fast speeds and poor wide open image quality.

You obviously haven't used the Mitakon. Center sharpness is definitely good wide open and it also retains the contrast well. Corner sharpness is however poor, but that doesn't matter since you only do oof shots wide open anyway.

Actually I have, obviously.  The main problem with these double gauss formulas is spherical aberrations which reduces sharpness, especially in the corners.  I have never specifically said anything about center sharpness.   They will never be as sharp as complex modern day lenses which correct for these aberrations.  Of course, you opinion of "definitely good" may differ from mine, so take it with a grain of salt.  To be quite honest, I get sharper images with a Canon FL 55mm F1.2 on a Mitakon Lens Turbo II (which has a similar optical formula when combined), as well as being better built and more affordable.

I'm not saying Mitakon is bad, because the Lens Turbo is great, but their lenses are lack luster for their price point.

-- hide signature --

Formally Evogt500

Aoi Usagi's gear list:Aoi Usagi's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR Sony Alpha NEX-5N Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 70D +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow