Water: long or short exposure?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Quarkcharmed
OP Quarkcharmed Contributing Member • Posts: 638
Re: Water: long or short exposure?

Bobthearch wrote:

Quarkcharmed wrote:

Bobthearch wrote:

The water in both of them is great. But I do prefer the first shot.

In the first photo, the shutter speed is such that it provides detail and a sense of action and motion. And I prefer the color.

In the second photo the water is great, a more peaceful and mysterious aura. But the color isn't as inspiring, and I think the shadows are lifted too much on some of the rocks.

Thanks for sharing that scene, wish I was there right now!

Thank you!

Yeah the second one is more gloomy and also less contrasty, the relative brightness between #1 and #2 isn't how it was in reality.

If it were me I'd revisit the second photo, darken it, and see what it looked like in black and white. Maybe emphasize the shapes and misty water over the color.

Interestingly, I try b&w on many of my shots, this one didn't work to me in b&w - the blueish palette isn't very colourful on its own. Also the layers of rocks aren't well separated in colour and there's even less separation in b&w.

If you like it's fine to edit and repost it in b&w, I should've mentioned it was fine to edit the images.

Quarkcharmed's gear list:Quarkcharmed's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow