For the weary pro (pocket)

Started 9 months ago | User reviews thread
OP RLight Senior Member • Posts: 2,946
Re: For the weary pro (pocket)

ElusivePhoton wrote:

I cannot understand why smartphones are spoken of as credible competitors to top-end point-and-shoots when they lack optical zoom. Am I one of the few who really cares about optical zoom? The 70mm-equiv extra lens in the latest smartphones does help a lot, but something like the G5X mkII goes to 120mm, and if Canon and Sony etc. want to keep this category alive they can try to offer longer zoom options.

Separately, am I the only person who thinks an auto-closing lens cover makes point-and-shoots superior for many use cases (like hectic travel moments or other on-the-move, spontanous/serendipitous shooting cases) compared to mirrorless/DSLRs? I don't even understand how people travel with the latter; are you simply giving up on many shooting opportunities because stopping to remove the lens cover would take too much time --- and cannot be performed if your other hand is carrying something? I need the flexibility to yank the camera out of my pocket regardless of what my other hand is carrying (and in the middle of stride), take a shot (with zoom if needed) and put it back in my pocket, all within 5 seconds. I rely on this regularly going through stations and trains in Europe, among other scenarios. Seems this would be hopeless without an auto-closing lens cover.

The G5X Mark II does have an auto-closing lens cover... And it's very useful I might add.

RLight's gear list:RLight's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS R Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow