Re: Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 pancake?

R2D2 wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

juanmaasecas wrote:

Jx9 wrote:

https://www.canonwatch.com/this-is-the-canon-rf-50mm-f-1-8-stm-the-nifty-fifty-for-the-eos-r/

Wow it's tiny! But no IS it seems...

And no Macro. This cheapo lens is precursor to the next entry-level R body (along with that rumored slow standard zoom).

I don’t need either feature, but no IS means Canon is nudging people toward IBIS bodies. Or, could all of the future R’s perhaps have IBIS? Or is Canon just trying to maximize R5/R6 sales while they can.

I do hope this lens focuses faster than the new RF 85/2. Personally I’d rather be spending $600+ for a good 50/1.4 USM with ultra-quick AF.

It's becoming the problem of RF primes: no fast focusing options. It's either a budget stm or a too large elements L.

That's what I'm seeing too. I'd really like a very fast 50 and a fast 85 for my sports (the RF 35 should be adequate).

Has anybody here used the RF 50/1.2L + R5 for fast-moving sports? Is the 50L’s AF fast enough?

R2

I recommend you watch the review of Christopher Frost for this, and no, it isn't very promising.

The more i think about it the more i'm starting to believe i've bought the best lens i could right away, and all i need is the R5 to get more sticky AF tracking.

Yeah, looks like your Sigma 50mm Art may be in my future.

R2

For the same reason i might not replace it ever by the Canon RF 50mm f/1.2 USM. At that price it gotta be perfect, and slower AF isn't (for me).

I hear you. There might be a little hope here though.

There are two different speed characteristics that need to be evaluated. One is initial focus acquisition speed (the RF 35/1.8 is fast, the RF 85/2 is slow). We won't know how the RF 50/1.8 is until we get it in our hands.

That's right. Thanks for highlighting that for me.

The other is the tracking speed after focus acquisition, and also while shooting a burst. Even though initial acquisition speed may be slow, if a lens can keep up once you hit the shooting stage, its utility may be adequate.

Both the RF f/1.2 USM and RF 85mm f/2.0 IS stm might meet this requirement for me and my cases.....  as long as there's no hunting.

The slim amount of hope I have for the RF 85/2 would be a firmware update. Would the little hamsters propelling the lens be able to run faster? Is the motor not strong enough? The gearing too low? Too much possibility of overshoot?

I decided to keep the RF 85mm f/2.0 IS stm, as it adds enough to justify the little space in the bag, and as long it doesn't hunt AF speed is for the second characteristic you pointed out. For me that second characteristic is waaaay more important than the first one.

I do hope the new little 50 will be speedy.

We'll see.

And if that one won't ever come there's a reason to keep the Samyang 50mm f/1.2. It might - with some practice - even work as good as a slow AF lens when paired with a body with stellar eye confirmation. And that whole MF + focus assist is fun. I like to do that. It's reminds me of my first body, a rangefinder.

I started out with a Canon rangefinder too! However I shot too many decades using manual focus. I’m never going back.

OTOH: the thing is big and heavy. And it won't ever be as good as a fast AF lens for portraits. I doubt if it will always make it to the bag.....

Which lens?

The Samyang is big and heavy.

The RF 85mm f/2.0 IS stm is a nice lens, but again, it's not good enough for portraits for me..... and that was the main reason to get it.

What do you think? Should I return both? It would get me 1350 euro closer to the R5. And if I face the fact i have sell the 50-100 f/1.8 too, all together it becomes a serious step closer to the R5.

The Samyang 50mm is fun to shoot with. The RF 85mm f/2.0 IS stm is so so. And if the bokeh is harsh, at the end of the day i will just use the 70mm@f/2.8 of my EF 24-70mm f/2.8 mkII, as i need a light weight portrait lens to improve on that bokeh.

I find it hard to make up my mind with all these less than perfect options...... I keep going in circles. Now i start doubting if the RF 50mm f/1.2 would be too slow for my shooting, or if it could be responsive enough for me......................

Don’t keep what doesn’t suit you (as long as you’ve vetted them thoroughly). Put your money towards this beast of a camera instead. The R5 really encourages the use of very sharp large aperture lenses (right up your alley! ).

You are right, but I'm going to take the wrong decision: I will keep both lenses. The RF85mm f/2.0 IS stm because it's very practical (can leave the 105mm at home or in the car), and the Samyang 50mm f/1.2 because it's not (it slows me down in a very good way).

I expect the "AF problems" of the RF 85mm f/2.0 to be solved with a next body and it's useful enough in the mean time. The Samyang might get redundant once i would replace the Sigma f/1.4 Art for the RF 50mm f/1.2, however, as i should get the R5 first it's make the waiting for the RF 50mm f/1.2 a bit easier. At 700 euro it's a relatively small sin against long term goals in favor of short term goals. The price is now 850 euro, and if I return it for 700 i may very well regret that......

I'm going to sell the 50-100mm f/1.8 Art. Was that a decision? Yes. It took me a while to make that decision, now I'm finally taking it.

Thanks for your advice. Highly appreciated.

R2

-- hide signature --

EF glass = bang for my buck

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Jx9
Jx9
Jx9
Jx9
Jx9
Jx9
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow