Sony 24-105 f4 G vs. Sony 24-70 f2.8 GM... flickr bias

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
OP charley5 Senior Member • Posts: 2,336
Re: Sony 24-105 f4 G vs. Sony 24-70 f2.8 GM... flickr bias

AZheaven wrote:

charley5 wrote:

AZheaven wrote:

I have the Sony 24-105 f4. It was my one and only lens for 2 years before I bought a Tamron 70-180 f2.8. The 24-105 is a superb lens and very sharp. And less expensive than the Sony 24-70 f2.8 GM. I've used the 24-105 for landscapes (just used it at the Grand Canyon last Friday) and street. And some wildlife.

But also to consider is the Sigma 24-70 f2.8. It's a little less than the 24-105, sometimes even a couple of hundred less and it's highly rated and super sharp. And you will have f2.8 when you need it. There are many reviews out on Youtube on this Sigma between Fro Knows, Dustin Abbott and Christopher Frost.

Hi. Thanks for the suggestion. I guess I want to make the right decision since my trips are done with considerable expense and effort and I want to make sure I get the kind of pics I like. I would definitely consider the Sigma, but having had experience with Sigma lenses and cameras, I know there is a large variance in terms of quality control and I am not sure if I want to take the chance. I am living in India now, and if I got a problem lens that would complicate things. However, when these Sigma lenses are good, they are very good.

-Charles

This new Sigma lens is supposed to be supurb and so far I haven't read of any issues with it. I even had a Sigma 24-105 when I shot Nikon and it was an excellent lens. I think Sigma's quality control has improved over the years. You can get bad Sony glass also. I rented 2 different Sony 70-200 f4's and both were bad copies. It can happen and I understand your anxiety over it! My first copy of the Tamron 70-180 f2.8 was super sharp. But then my serial number was part of a recall. One of 3 lenses sold on the west coast. My second replacement copy was off and that had to be replaced. Thankfully my 3rd copy is as good as the first! It can happen and it is sometimes a crap shoot for sure! Good luck with your decision.

Thanks. It is the luck of the draw. Although I agree that there are many fewer lemons than even a decade ago.

charley5's gear list:charley5's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R III Zeiss Otus 55mm F1.4 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow