Super-telephotos for the R5

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
RDM5546
RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 2,230
Re: Super-telephotos for the R5 - 600 f4 mk2

JMattH wrote:

We faced the same decision and bought an EF 400 f/2.8 IS USM (version 1). Yes - it's heavy, but for "just" $3,200" for a lens still in Excellent condition, it's fine on a gimbal mount. Mated to the new R5, we are getting some of the best bird and other wildlife pictures ever. Frankly, with the $9,000 savings over the modern version iii, and an anticipated even more expensive RF version at some point, I think it was the value buy of the year. Suddenly the Sigma 150-600 is no longer getting used. The IQ is just soooooo superior with the 400 f/2.8, that there's no reason to even click the shutter with the Sigma any more.

I went the same way with EF 400mmf2.8 IS USM I and it sweet lenses.  Mine was owned by a Wildlife photograher and the paint joint shows it was used a lot.   Despite the nicks and scuff the lens no serious sign of wear after 15 years.  It is certainly shop and the images it creates are are amazing on the EOS R.  I have not received the R5 yet and assume it will be even better.  I was leery spending much on heavily used lens but it was worth every nickle I paid.  The images looks the same as brand new lens.  The Gimbal on the tripod is a very important addition though.   With it handling is a breeze.  I use it with both 1.4X iii and 2X iii TCs.

RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R +38 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow