Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 pancake?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 17,966
Re: Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 pancake?

Ah.... you're saying a lot of the things I want to hear about this lens. It's weird to compare this to the 50 1.8, but frankly most of my AF needs are already covered. This 50 could be an "experience" lens... something to go beyond just covering my typical photographic needs. I just wish it weren't so big and expensive. If it were, say, a 50/2 for half the price and weight with the same build and image quality I would own it. A lot of times I stop my 50s down to F/2.8, mainly for IQ.

I'm kind of torn between this, the 2/50 Makro I mentioned and maybe some other Zeiss MF lens. But they are all so heavy and expensive..............

What is the focusing experience like? Which of the focus assist tools do you use? Talk me through how you focus a shot and what kinds of subjects you can and can't capture. I have a 3 year old and an infant I'm hoping to get some shots with for this lens. I don't mind big glass on my R but I'm still torn. $800 or so for a MF lens is nuts. But I rented a CV 40/1.2 on my old Sony FE body and the shooting experience was amazing. Somehow that felt like it was worth their asking price.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Jx9
Jx9
Jx9
Jx9
Jx9
Jx9
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow