Super-telephotos for the R5

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Tazz93
Tazz93 Senior Member • Posts: 2,632
Re: Super-telephotos for the R5 - 600 f4 mk2

Bogibbes wrote:

So the lens came in and all signs are pointing to it being a keeper, but I did have one question. For those with the R5 and the 500 II, or maybe even the 600 II, when the camera is set to "continuous AF" is the IS in the lens noticeably noisy and can you feel it being active through the body of the lens?

Unless you can't use both hands to operate the camera, I don't see a good reason to have the AF continuously running. I disabled that immediately. For some video modes, I can see a value, but honestly I don't see a value in stills. Its not noisy, but the AF just runs and runs. It like holding the AF button down eternally.

I also only use the IS when needed. Again turning it on, will basically run it anytime the viewfinder/LCD is live. IMO, using up valuable battery and more importantly, IS cycles and shortening the component life. The IS isn't loud, but it has a noticeable, whirling noise. Also, when removing the lens, be sure to turn IS off or wait for the whirling to stop. It will make a terrible noise if you remove the camera before the cycle is done. Even turning the camera off, will not immediately stop the IS. So I flip the IS switch or simply wait and listen for the IS to stop whirling after switching it off.

I'm finding the combo to be really good. Enjoy it.

-- hide signature --

Mike Jackson - Wildlife Photography Enthusiast
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_flickr/

Tazz93's gear list:Tazz93's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow