Looking into a camera for landscape, and need advice

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Xlr8tin Regular Member • Posts: 192
Looking into a camera for landscape, and need advice

Hey guy! Brand new to the forum.

I've been researching for weeks now about everything, different cameras, lens....what most of the terminology means, and so on.

I've always loved taking pictures for the family, and I've always been able to capture pretty amazing photos all on my camera phone. Up to this point, the cameras on my Samsung phones have always done the job for what I've wanted until now. I have a lot of extra time on my hands so I figured I'd look into getting a real camera and where to start. As I look through my photo gallery on my phone I love taking landscape pictures. The sunsets here in Texas are pretty awesome since it is fairly flat. So I am mostly wanting to find a camera that is great for this, and also for taking pictures of the family while my kids are still around, on vacations, or just getting out of the house for walks.

I had it narrowed down to a camera and lens but then had a question that stopped me from moving forward as I usually always do and mess things up.

I am leaning towards a mirrorless, and from what I have found Sony is the leader. I want a full-frame so I was leaning toward getting the A7Rii since the price is about where I want to be. The lens I was thinking about was the Sony 24-70mm f/4 Vario-Tessar T FE OSS Zoom Lens. This seemed to be a decent lens to get me started without costing me a small fortune starting off.

So my question is, should I be jumping into something this advanced or should I start out with something like a Sony A6000 and work my way up to the Full-frame? Or is there something else I should be looking at? I like what I am seeing with the mirrorless cameras. I've always liked Nikon, but Sony is right there with them from reading all the blogs from the pros.

I know there are going to be those that might try to tell me DSLRs are better, and that's fine, but I am more concerned with what I start out with. As of right now I don't have experience with a real camera...so there is a learning curve, but I will be taking classes and researching more online since there are hundreds of free stuff out there.

Thanks guys!

Xlr8tin's gear list:Xlr8tin's gear list
Sony a7R II +5 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow