Memory card failure?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Barry Twycross Veteran Member • Posts: 3,458
Re: Memory card failure?

The only card failures I've had are when the camera fails to write to the card, that can lose the burst of pictures currently being taken. I've never had a card fail and be unreadable.

When a card does have a write failure like that, I'll look at it suspiciously, take it out and put it back in (which has the effect of cleaning the contacts), and usually there's no more problem. There has been one card which failed more than once in one session. That card was taken out of use as soon as I got back to our room.

I don't rely on cards for long term storage, they're guaranteed to suffer bit rot over long periods (years). I always download the contents as soon as possible. I used to them erase the card and start again, now I let the pictures sit on the card until it's needed again as backup, until the downloaded images get into the regular backup system.

Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm GFX 50R Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow