A case study of IQ differences between Luminar 4 vs DxO PL4

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP AlmostDoctor Contributing Member • Posts: 737
Re: A case study of IQ differences between Luminar 4 vs DxO PL4

kaphinga wrote:

AlmostDoctor wrote:

I have been going through some of my old raw files, re-processing them in DxO Photo Lab 4 to try to learn the program and see how it works.

Thanks for doing this. I always enjoy post-processing comparisons.

In Luminar's defense, I do love their AI face detection portrait fix settings. It makes it so much easier to work with environmental portraits. But in terms of pure IQ, I got the impression that Luminar 4 didn't necessarily get the best out of the raw files compared to my past experiences with DarkTable. DxO handsomely beats both in my limited experience so far.

My experience is that Luminar will tend to overcook things if one isn't very careful. I keep Luminar around mostly for their "color contrast" slider, which would be difficult to replicate in Lightroom or DXO.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. It was generally difficult for me to make the images pop without looking very artificial.

AlmostDoctor's gear list:AlmostDoctor's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow