A case study of IQ differences between Luminar 4 vs DxO PL4

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP AlmostDoctor Contributing Member • Posts: 738
Re: A case study of IQ differences between Luminar 4 vs DxO PL4

BG28 wrote:

AlmostDoctor wrote:

I noticed that on my phone screen, it does look too much. On my laptop, it doesn't look nearly as over the top so I didn't really realize it.

I guess it's the downside of not having calibrated monitor and pushing the saturation to the limits.

It's pretty wild how different screens display the same image..

Right. I have preference towards really saturated colors so I need to remember that it could be too much on other people's screens.

While I agree that the saturation is too high in PL4 image, the textures in the tree stump is still far more realistic looking in PL4 than in Luminar 4 which is interesting to me. The textures in PL4 looks a lot more painting-like, which is also something I noticed from other files I edited in Luminar 4. In my limited experience, DxO seems to retain more photo-realistic textures even when pushing the saturation quite a bit.

One difference that stands out to me is that the clarity looks to have been pushed a bit too far in Luminar (imo). Looking at the stump, the midtone contrast is much less than the DxO image and jpeg. That might be contributing to the overall "blown out" effect, alongside the saturation.

I remember it was a bit tricky for me to boost clarity/sharpness/microcontrast/saturation in luminar before the images started to look very artificial. DxO does a much better job keeping the image looking more natural, imo.

Deep Prime Noise Reduction and lens sharpness modules are especially great.

It's a nice portrait, tho. That dog looks so majestic!

The other current thread about raw processing has me convinced I need something else besides Luminar (3) to rely on. I just recently lost access to PS Elements during a software update last week, so I definitely needs something to replace the lost capability.

AlmostDoctor's gear list:AlmostDoctor's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow