A case study of IQ differences between Luminar 4 vs DxO PL4

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Dick Barbour
Dick Barbour Senior Member • Posts: 1,067
Re: A case study of IQ differences between Luminar 4 vs DxO PL4

AlmostDoctor wrote:

I have been going through some of my old raw files, re-processing them in DxO Photo Lab 4 to try to learn the program and see how it works.

I compared one of those photos to the jpeg I made from Luminar 4 and I was blown away by the differences.

However, keep in mind that I did not process these files with identical results in mind or that I used optimal workflow in Luminar 4. In fact, I'm sure my poor luminar skill is more to blame rather than the inherent IQ differences between the programs.

This comparison is just one anecdotal evidence based on my poor editing skills and should be interpreted with a massive grain of salt.

With that said, I should note that I spent less time processing this file in DxO than in Luminar.

First, here's the SOOC Jpeg for reference. (Do view the photos in full screen if you can.)

The sky wasn't blue enough and the grasses weren't green enough for my liking.

On my monitor the PL4 file just looks plain garish. The Luminar file isn't bad but I wouldn't settle for either of these. For what it's worth here's my take with just a little s-curve plus saturation bump for cyan, yellow, and green. All in Photoshop.

Dick

Dick Barbour's gear list:Dick Barbour's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow