R5 with EF 100-400 is ii and 2x extender

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kevin Buckner New Member • Posts: 6
R5 with EF 100-400 is ii and 2x extender

Did a quick test with this setup today and was happy with the results. EF 100-400 is ii and 2x multiplier, tested just at 800mm.

A few things I noticed. If it’s on a tripod and IS is on it will blur the picture. I know it’s common practice to turn IS off when on a tripod but this is the first time I’ve had it make a very obvious negative impact.

Contrast is a little on the low side. These pics are also in the worst possible setup relative to the sun. But either way I was able to easily add contrast back in Lightroom.
focusing is slow, painfully slow. But only when the lens goes from completely out of focus into something at infinity. If you are already in the range of infinity it works fine. It’s not instant but I would estimate a half second or less.

Picture of the plant was handheld at 1/400 shutter, worked great. I also did it on a tripod but the picture wasn’t any sharper.

The lens, extender, and adapter all together are right around 3k. It is something that I can backpack with and shoot without a tripod. I am thrilled with the results. No it isn’t perfect but it has unique set of features that you can’t find anywhere else.

Fire hydrant at 30 yards and agave type plant behind the roof is 160 yards.

Pics are around 100% crops and edited.

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow