Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 6,076
Re: DX versus FX

Brev00 wrote:

bclaff wrote:

Brev00 wrote:

Bill Ferris wrote:

Brev00 wrote:

My main issue now with the camera is the noise. More visible at even low isos than in my D610 files. ...

Thanks for the tips but I am just talking about image quality, noise specifically. I am referring to images I have taken which have mostly not been cropped. I don't usually like to crop much if at all. ...

Relative to the Nikon D610 all your Nikon D500 images are "cropped" since the D610 is FX and the D500 is DX.

Yes. I understand that. I believe Bill F. was suggesting that I crop my D500 pics less. I was explaining that the noise I am seeing is from uncropped D500 images. So, best case. But, you are both right in the sense that the D500 will not match the D610 in terms of noise. I thought the newness of the sensor would help. I just didn't expect the noise to be so consistently noticeable at lower isos. Perhaps I should only compare it to my D90 which is what this camera is replacing. Should be a significant improvement, no? I know the noise of the D500 is finer than that of the D90 with isos over 800. Not sure it is less. Does the lack of an AA filter affect noise? Does the aa filter to some extent soften it? I know I am getting moire in shots with the D500 I did not get before.

The D610 will always have an advantage for "identical" images of the same size viewed at the same distance since the D500 image is enlarged more.

In many cases you may be able to open the D500 aperture up one stop and shoot at one stop lower ISO than you would for the D610 and get similar noise performance.

Problem is I often shoot wide open regardless of format.

Bill may be right about adjusting expectations. I did expect cleaner images particularly at low isos. I guess I should feel great that my D610 still does so well. Glass half full.

I am still very happy with the camera. Just trying to figure out ways to deal with the noise.

Naturally, you can't go below ISO 100

Seek out great light and fill the frame with your composition. Those are keys to making good photographs in any genre with any camera.

After that, it's in the processing. I don't know which app(s) you use or how you apply sharpening. If you sharpen in a targeted manner already, that will help mitigate the visibility of noise. If you apply sharpening globally, there are a couple of pretty straightforward technique adjustments that can significantly improve the appearance of noise in a photo.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow