Datacolor - good customer service

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Graham Regular Member • Posts: 363
Datacolor - good customer service

I have a very old Datacolor Spyder set, Spyder3, with sensors for calibration for both screen and prints.  This is the 2007 model, which I bought probably some time before 2010.  I replaced the display colorimeter some years ago - the colours for this old model changed over the years, I believe - but I have continued to use Spyder Print to create print profiles, although have not done so for some years.

Having bought a new computer, I installed the old SpyderPrint version 3.0 software which was on the original CDs in my original kit onto a new Windows 10 computer, to see whether the SpyderPrint sensor would work to create new print profiles.  I was pleased to find that it worked, but I knew there had been an updated version 3.5 of the software, which I could not find on the Internet.  I emailed Datacolor support to ask for the 3.5 version.  They responded with a link to a much later version 5.5, which I was able to install and activate with my original version 3.0 serial number.  It works perfectly.

It is good to see that such old hardware, the sensor, continues to function and that Datacolor maintained support for later software OS compatibility through several software iterations.  While their email said that Windows 10 is not officially supported, they said they have tested it and found it to be working, although not up to the latest build.  My Windows 10 is fully updated, and I can confirm that version 5.5 works on my system.

It is refreshing to find that the company is not using updates to the OS as an excuse to discontinue compatibility, and they they are willing to provide significantly updated software which supports long-discontinued hardware.  They did also offer a discount to me as a previous customer for their latest system, but so long as the old sensor continues to work, I do not need it.  But as and when I do need to replace it, their helpful customer service and approach to maintaining ongoing functionality of their hardware will prompt me to look closely at Datacolor for the replacement.

I have no connection with Datacolor, but just thought it pleasant to be able to report such helpful customer service.

Graham

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow