Dolica tripod not holding camera in set position?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Flycaster
OP Flycaster Senior Member • Posts: 1,443
My Bad, Tripod is Good!

Although I posted that the ballhead wasn't holding the camera's position, and it wasn't when the lens barrel was extended, I had an epiphany last night due to the fact that I did remember that there was a time that position was held.  This lead me to more fully think what could be the problem. Obviously, the camera wasn't properly balanced on the ballhead when lens barrel was extended. So, I took a good look at how the plate that was attached to the camera's bottom was fitted into the ballhead's receiving slot.  Sure enough, that was the answer to proper balance.  One could put the plate into the slot from either side of the slot. And, depending upon which side you chose, would determine the camera's overall balance.  Havinging the ballhead's control knobs on the left side and placing the plate into the slot allows for the plate to be moved farthest back on the slot, moving the camera's center of gravity into a better holding position.  No problem now as the camera's holds position even when the lens barrel is fully extended.

Thanks all for your suggestions.  And, maybe this exercise will be helpful for others that may face this issue.

Flycaster's gear list:Flycaster's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD850 IS Olympus Tough TG-2 Panasonic FZ1000
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow