New to Canon EOS R, seeking advice on gear

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
JackHa2006 Junior Member • Posts: 33
Re: New to Canon EOS R, seeking advice on gear

Eddie Rizk wrote:

JackHa2006 wrote:

Based on the quantity and quality of the gear you are considering, you seem to have a very very large budget. But since you say you are a beginner, I would suggest you start with only 1 lens and use it for a long while to learn photography and to figure out what is it that lens cannot do in order to decide what to buy next. Spending top dollar for something you don't use is something you should want to avoid. I think the R6 and the RF 24-70 f2.8 can do everything you described. I would suggest the RF 24-105 f4 to someone with a smaller budget and then the RP for an even smaller budget. The RP and RF 24-105 f4 will have compromises but they are very capable gear. The 24-70 f2.8 (EF and RF) are popular with professional wedding photographers so there is no reason it can't take professional level pictures you aspire to. If portraits is the only thing you do, I would suggest you start with one of the RF 50 f1.2, RF 85 f1.2 or the RF 85 f2. Consider getting a flash if you plan on taking pictures indoors.

You may then decide you need more reach or more low light ability or more bokeh or different focal length or lighter weight. But use the first lens to figure out what is your most pressing need.

Good luck with your decision and have fun taking pictures.

I've heard this a lot.

Some purists take it a step farther and say to start with a 50mm prime only to learn photography.

I see the logic, if the sole objective is to learn photography.

But some people want to get pictures of things in the next year. You simply can't capture the memories you want with one lens.

When I started, I had kids at home and I had a business marketing real estate. I wanted picture of properties I was marketing. I wanted pictures of my kids' sports activities. I wanted pictures of social events with and without kids.

What one lens should I have gotten?

There are no real estate marketing pictures without an ultra wide. There are no pictures of sports, outdoor sports at least, without a telephoto zoom or two telephoto primes on two cameras.. There are no party pictures without a normal lens. There are no night time pictures without a fast lens, unless you want to kill everyone's buzz with flash in their face.

Who wants to miss a year's worth of memories just for an exercise. You can take the training lens out on days when nothing relevant is going on and exercise then.

My recommendation was based on the OP's list of intended use.

JackHa2006's gear list:JackHa2006's gear list
Canon G9 X Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS R6 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow