Super-telephotos for the R5

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
palombian Regular Member • Posts: 231
Re: Super-telephotos for the R5

an_also wrote:

You might also consider something like the 400 F4 DO II because it doesn’t seem like that lens will be released in a RF mount anytime soon or ever. If that happens to be the case a EF lens like that could hold its value better since there are no alternatives to it. (in my mind the 400 DO II is the best combination of reach, image quality and portability ever made in a tele lens)

Original point of view !

I bought this lens 5 years ago for the weight reason and use it on the 7DII mostly with 1.4 III (560mm 5.6). IMO better IQ and AF than EF300 II with 2.0 III.

I am satisfied with the lens, quality is good for what I paid, but it is not popular.

The weight advantage nearly disappeared since the 400 2.8 III (but this lens is double price).

Will keep it on the R5. Should give me the same reach with the 2.0 III (or in crop mode with 1.4 III), but better AF and less noise.

Chances are on 800mm I will have more keepers and could crop a bit more.

PS: Nikon 500 5.6 PF has nearly the same reach and is much lighter, some day Canon will make such a lens in RF.

palombian's gear list:palombian's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M100 Canon EOS M6 II +22 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow