Z6 or Z7 (i or ii) to supplement a D500 for wildlife and landscape?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
euanmax
euanmax Regular Member • Posts: 138
Z6 or Z7 (i or ii) to supplement a D500 for wildlife and landscape?

I recently bought a used D500 with both PF lenses for wildlife (replacing the 100-400 zoom on my Fuji).  The difference in the quality of results I’m getting with this setup is night and day over the Fuji, the keeper rate is also well up.

I was initially going to keep my Fuji gear for landscape and general photography but am tempted to move over to the Z mount, given that I’d then have a second body that I could use with the PF lenses and, the fact that the size/weight differences are small.

I can’t make my mind up between the Z6 or Z7 though.  I had initially thought that the Z6 would be the best choice, with its low light capabilities and slightly faster FPS, however, I have since read that if you downsample the Z7 files, you end up with similar noise performance to the Z6?  Also, the Z7 retains more details at high ISO so something like Topaz Denoise might be able to extract a similar or better end result at high ISO??

I’m not printing huge prints so don’t need the Z7’s high res for my landscape work, but can see how the Z7 would bring benefits for wildlife with the cropability.  Given I’m keeping the D500, I’m a bit stuck as to which way to go.  I could see how the new Z7ii may also be able to replace the D500 if the AF is good enough but we don’t yet know how good it is for BIF until reviews start coming in.

Wildlife photography is my main interest at the moment, but I still like to do some landscape and macro photography.

Any thoughts from owners of both the Z6 and Z7 on their suitability for my uses (given that I’m happy to keep the D500 around) would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

euanmax's gear list:euanmax's gear list
Ricoh GR III Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon Z6 II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow