Dolica tripod not holding camera in set position?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 4,826
Re: Dolica tripod not holding camera in set position?

Flycaster wrote:

I have the Dolica Proline GX650B204 tripod (https://www.amazon.com/Dolica-GX600B200-Proline-60-Inch-Aluminum-dp-B004XC3GZW/dp/B004XC3GWU/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?th=1). I am having a problem getting the camera to stay in position when the lens barrel of my FZ1000 is extended. With the camera positioned on target, tightening the proper knob as much as I can, the camera will still slip down a little bit off target. However, when the lens barrel is not fully extended, the camera will stay in position. I'm just an amateur enthusiast and know this wouldn't be a problem with a professional tripod, but I felt this tripod would be good enough for me. Anyway of getting the tripod's head to hold the camera in its set position? Or, am I facing the "you get what you pay for" situation? Thanks.

This is definitely a case of "you get what you pay for".

You need to balance the camera on the ball head.  The way I do this is to use a Nodal Rail which clamps to the mounting plate on the bottom of the camera, and slides forward/backward in the clamp of the ball head to achieve balance, and so the ball head will hold the camera because it isn't applying excessive torque.

But this requires a ball head that is Arca Swiss compatible, and from reading the comments on Amazon, it appears that this ball head is not.  I would recommend getting an Arca compatible ball head, but I also saw some comments that indicated that you couldn't remove the ball head.

My advice is to buy a tripod that is Arca compatible; there are several inexpensive alternatives on Amazon.  And buy a nodal rail (120mm would be fine).

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow