at what high iso does A7r3 show less noise then A7r4?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 6,415
Re: at what high iso does A7r3 show less noise then A7r4?

Chester McCheeserton wrote:

Thanks all, just spent nearly an hour pouring through Jim Kasson's test between the 2.

As my co-worker Dave used to say - 'looks like a mixed bag...'

As always in life

The question is where do you put your emphasis? Crop users had been living with that noise level for a decade claiming that there is hardly any difference to FF 

The A7R IV uses basically an enhanced and enlarged APS-C sensor for FF with the tweaks from the Sony sensor devision slightly above the former APS-C designs.

I cannot tell from any of his graphs or posted visual comparisons, or from anyone's comments here in this thread or elsewhere the answer to my question in the subject line.

Irrelevant IMHO - they are in practical use as shown before with the DR graph virtually identical in similar enragements. As long as you're not using the extra pixels for cropping you'll have a hard time when looking at the end results to see any difference in noise - provided your post processing skills are good.

In other words using uncompressed RAW plus the right amount of sharpening and masking you will not see any differences in normal enlargements except more detail - only if you zoom to > 100 % you will see a pixel level noise that is slightly higher.

BUT - you can crop in and live with the quality APS-C users had for a decade and thus rescue an image that is not working due to it's too wide view.

For me the perfect t trade off and I never used my A7R III again since I got my A7R IV

Best thing is always to rent gear and not to concentrate too much on theory but on real world results.

Maybe you'll find a nice dealer that let's you shoot a few frame sie by side.

In my experiences there is no way back to just 42 MP when you've seen what 60 MP can look like printed big - IMHO the A7R IV outpaces the small digital medium format with 50 MP - especially when using Pixel Shift at base ISO

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow