Talk to me about R5 file size

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
George Zip Senior Member • Posts: 1,477
Talk to me about R5 file size

I am going to update one or both of my 5D4's for a R5 or R6.

The only thing that makes me pause on the R5 is megapixels and the file size. It is SO rare that I would need that much resolution. As I shoot events and portraiture primarily the file size seems overkill for what I do. For me, to process 1000's of files that size each year would bog down my computer, storage and backup would increase.

If it had the MRaw and SRaw options I would be all over it like a cheap suit. I do not understand why they would omit that long-standing feature.

Can anyone comment on the compressed raw option? How big are the files and do you lose quality? Also the fact they are compressed does that mean that in order to edit them, would Lightroom need to "uncompress" them in realtime therefore negating any benefit in terms of speed?? (I am not sure if that makes sense)

The R6 makes way more sense for me, but  I do I sell a lot of big prints and so some commercial work.

Maybe I should just get the R6 as a workhorse and keep one 5d4 as a backup and when rarely need more megapixels .... or maybe pickup a 5DSR for bigger work.... the 5DSR's are absurdly good value at the moment.

George Zip's gear list:George Zip's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +7 more
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS R5 Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow