RF 50mm F1.8 STM leaked

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
quiquae Senior Member • Posts: 1,962
RF 50mm F1.8 STM leaked

Nokishita, the most reliable leaker on the Internet, has posted images of the lens.

Product image

Lens element layout

This is clearly a brand new optical design, not a re-use of the EF version, so we can hope for an improvement in IQ—Canon has even seen fit to include an aspherical element! However, it is still a variation of the classic 5-groups-6-elements double gauss layout, which means it is probably not going to be tack sharp away from the center unless stopped down somewhat.

It looks like a very small lens—probably about the same size as the EF 50mm STM without the EF-RF adapter. That’s great for portability, but it does mean the focusing motor is going to be slow.

The rumors say nothing about the price, but everything about the lens screams “dirt cheap.” If it’s around $200, I may sell my EF 50mm STM and buy one, even though I have the RF 50L—the latter is too big as a walkaround lens.

quiquae's gear list:quiquae's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD300 Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
CxP
CxP
KZ7
CxP
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow