New to Canon EOS R, seeking advice on gear

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
RDM5546
RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 2,195
Re: New to Canon EOS R, seeking advice on gear

I am inclinded to agree if I were buying an EOS R with just one lens it would be the EF24-105mm. That was the first lens I bought with the EOS R last year. I was blown a way by two things:

1. How well the adapter worked with the EF lenses that had already

2. How very amazing the RF version of the 24-105 in comparison to the two earlier EF version which I already owned. The RF 24-105mmf4L is level about the EF version across the board. Sharp at 24 and sharp 105mm. Fast focus and it was better than those older lenses.

However I want a RF prime lens and RF super zoom for travelling. I have owned many EF lenses like that but the big and heavy when adapted and need to travel light.

I needed more reach than the 105mm for for local birds, wildlife and other things I like to shoot. I used to carry a EF35-350mmL 10X superzoom but is a pretty heavy lens and I am older and not strong now. I sold the 10X EF superzoom a couple of years ago even though it took some of my memorable picuters. I have EF 100-400mmL II lens that the sharper has even more reach.   I have taken it on trips with dslrs but is a big travel lens and if I brought a prime it would three lenses.   The choice of two travel lens selection was just me and what I planned to take pictures of.

So I then bought the RF35f1.8 prime and RF24-240mm 10X super zoom a couple months to evaluate for use as a two lens solution with the EOS R traveling.   On my one trip before Covid I ended up switching to my newly acquired RF 15-35f2.8L lens along with the EF24-240mm 10X superzoom.   By the time I traveled I knew I wanted eventual the trinity f2.8 lenses that used the most for serious work with DSLRs RF versions for my EOS R and eventual EOS R5 when it came out.  So I brought the 15-35mm and the 24-240mm on my trip.  They worked excellently and handled everything I need.    I did take a few 240mm shots.  I could have gotten by with 24-105mm but I really like the images coming out of the 24-240mm zoom.   So far main use for the 24-105 mm has been for 4X video zooms which benefit from the consant f4 aperatures.    Ultimately budget becomes a factor but both the RF35mmf1.8 and RF24-240mm are pretty inexpensive. You can buy both them at open box sales for less than $1000 which is just a little above the list price of the RF24-105mmL series lens.   It is weather sealed and a more rugged package but that may be so important for some shooters.   I will not replace most of my EF lenses for RF since the EF still work very well.  The RF lenses I have bought were for special reasons.  I like some of my EF lenses better than the new RF equivalents but I am sure that is just my opinion and others will other choices based on their opinions.

RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R +38 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow