Dell XPS 15 FHD+ 16GB/512GB laptop option

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
rickpoole Senior Member • Posts: 1,207
Re: Dell XPS 15 FHD+ 16GB/512GB laptop option

I have a four year old XPS 15.6" 9550 with a 1TB SSD and the 4K display.  From experience I can tell you 4K display looks great.  The laptop can drive monitors up to 4K with no problems - I've occasionally hooked it to my LG 27" 4K and it looks as good as my desktop's RTX 1060 video board.  I'm glad I got the 1TB drive and have had a few times that wasn't big enough.  Most of my space is consumed by photos and some videos.  The price with the 4K looks pretty good...I had to bargain real hard 4 years ago to get mine for $2000 (normal prices was $2400 back then).

I have mine setup to run at 100% CPU/brightness when on A/C and up to 50% CPU/brightness on battery so it is screaming fast on A/C and I can usually get close to 5 hours on battery.  At 100% on battery I get 2 hours or slightly less.  The M.2 SSD is really fast - I get transfers from SD cards pretty close to the rated speed on the cards (93M/s).

On thing to be aware of if they have not changed it - the SSD version comes with a bigger battery therefore you can't put a 2nd drive in the laptop.

-- hide signature --
 rickpoole's gear list:rickpoole's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow