Sony RX10 IV vs Olympus E-M5 III lens combo

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
evetsf Senior Member • Posts: 1,425
Re: Sony RX10 IV vs Olympus E-M5 III lens combo

tugatomsk wrote:

evetsf wrote:

Any reason you're ignoring the other big player in the M43 world: Panasonic?

Panasonic has a lot more IS lenses than Olympus, and all of their current bodies have IBIS and are Dual IS capable with IS lenses. Their video is pretty good too.

On the Panasonic side, you could go with the G90/95, either the 12-60 or 14-140 zoom plus the 100-300 you've already mentioned. All weather sealed & all Dual IS compatible.

I have nothing against Panasonic, quite the contrary. They're one of the leaders in video performance and their photo equipment is a great value compared to almost all other photo brands.

However, there were a couple of reasons for not considering the Panasonic G90/95.

First, I thought the Panasonic rival of the Olympus was the G9, which is rather big (almost the size of my Canon 60D), which was a turn off for me, despite the LCD on the top plate and good ergonomy.

Secondly, the DFD autofocus is great for stills but not so great for video, and I do like to make amateur videos. The wobbly and inconsistent nature of DFD while filming is very distracting. Olympus' phase-detection AF seems to work better for video.

With that said, I checked your suggestion and the G95 is the one I should have looked up from the start. Also, your info regarding the many more Panasonic lenses able to use DUAL IS is very attractive. I'll keep that in mind. Althoguh it's a bit of a shame the G95 doesn't have the High-Resolution mode (only the G9 has it) like the Olympus E-M5 III and the E-M1 III.

EDIT: Does the Panasonic 14-140 also work with the G95 DUAL IS?

Yes, the 14-140 is Dual IS capable with the G90/95. Panasonic has two levels of lens IS: the earlier one is named MEGA O.I.S., and the latest is called POWER O.I.S.  Mega OIS is not as powerful as Power OIS, which is something to keep in mind if you shop used. The latest version of the 14-140 has model number H-FSA14140. It's optically identical to the earlier H-FS14140 but adds weather sealing.

As for the video autofocus, I don't have much to comment on there, as I don't do a lot of it. But I do believe there's a way to set things up where the touch screen can be used to switch focus from one point to another, and not try to continually focus in between, which is where the wobble shows up.

-- hide signature --

Steve
- The Hierarchy Approves -
All rights reserved for any images in my Gallery or included in a message. Specific exceptions may be granted upon request.

evetsf's gear list:evetsf's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Panasonic FZ2500 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow