Which of these 3 to emulate a Ricoh GR II in 5 metre snap focus mode?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
EOS GUY
EOS GUY Senior Member • Posts: 3,313
Which of these 3 to emulate a Ricoh GR II in 5 metre snap focus mode?

GRRRRRR (pun intended)

I want to mix things up a little. I'm hankering after a mint used GR II.

A. Expensive

B. I have - an LX100 (has 28mm FL) X-T2 and 18mm f2 pancake (is 28mm eqvt) plus 18-55 which again can be 28mm eqvt wide open

Experience tells me I don't want to be using AF shooting from the hip

Neither of my cameras has that nifty 5 mtrs snap focus mode the GR II has

Which of these 3 set ups would you imagine is best for setting and locking focus using AF at 5 mtrs then switching to Manual Focus?

Also I'm guessing stop down to f5.6 - F8 (that's my normal anyway) and thus with

A. A wide angle lens which naturally has deep dof

+

B. lens stopped down

I should be good to go?

I'm thinking the 18-55 is not the way to go as kinda big and defeats half the purpose (stealth)

The LX100 would be second choice

OR - Grrrrr, I have the 18mm f2 up for sale though I'm guessing it would be the obvious choice

I have so much overlap I cannot justify owning all of them and I want to experiment and see if I like it before committing to purchasing a GR II

The sale of the 18mm is part of my business so the £££ does not go towards the GR

I'll never sell the LX100 it's my lovely sweety pie

I could sell the 23mm f2 I have OR the 18-55 f2.8-4 OIS for what three fifths of the GR II money...? but it's a really tough call between ultimate utility of the great quality zoom and the lovely precision and quality of the 23mm f2 (though the 18-55 is also very good.)

Anyway my main concern is the technique

28mm eqvt, + 5 metres distance should fit most of an average human in frame if I'm not wrong and AF is not the way to shoot like this I believe....

LX100 most stealthy but 18mm prime better choice,,,?  Actually with the zoom poking out the LX100 is barely stealthier anyhow but meh I want to sell the 18mm f2 for money as was always my plan (never used it, bought cheap for sole purpose of resale).

-- hide signature --

My Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/photonicstreetdreams/
The earth laughs in flowers.
-Ralph Waldo Emmerson
Above all else, peacefulness, love and harmony.
- Noel Shoestring

EOS GUY's gear list:EOS GUY's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X-T2 Panasonic LX100 Ricoh GR II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow