R5 4K settings for a video novice

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
f8f8f8 Regular Member • Posts: 164
R5 4K settings for a video novice

I have set up my R5 in the past week for still photography.  So far, so good. However, with my 5D MIII I rarely shot video. With my grandson approaching the 1 year mark and with a shiny new R5 I feel that I want to start recording some 4K videos. I am more than reasonably comfortable with still photography settings and options. However, when it comes to video, that's an entirely different situation.

I have been following the countless overheating threads (8K and oversampled 4K  high quality whatever) and understand that there is a "regular" 4K mode that will not overheat the R5, period. What are the designations/settings  of that 4K mode that will not cause overheating on the R5 and allows for practically unlimited recording? Yes, there may be a 29 min 59 second segment limit and the battery will eventually have to be swapped out for a fresh one. I will be using a fast Sandisk Extreme Pro CFExpress card (up to 1700 MB/s read and 1200 MB/s write) so that should not be an issue. I find video terminology confusing. I am in the USA if that matters. I see 4K options described as 4K, 4K fine, 4K DCI, 4K UHD, 4K HQ, oversampled 4K, etc. etc. etc.  I will not be doing any extensive editing, perhaps just shortening the videos with different cutoff points. So, which 4K settings and their proper names should I use to take "regular" 4K videos? No slow motion, nothing fancy, just 4K. Please use the same terminology as the R5 uses.

I thought I wanted 30 fps (29.97 whatever) but I can't seem to select that option with 4K on the R5. I am not saying it can't be done, just that I am having difficulty doing that.  Someone once told me that a rule of thumb for video was to have the shutter speed 1/(2Xfps) so 1/60th second makes sense to me with the 30 fps. On my 5D MIII I used 1920 x 1080 @ 30 fps ALL-I for short clips and IPB for longer videos with an aspect ratio of 16:9 shot in AV mode. Those designations made sense to me.

Thank you in advance for your help and sharing your knowledge.

f8f8f8

f8f8f8's gear list:f8f8f8's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +7 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow