Tazz93 Senior Member • Posts: 2,540
Re: Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 pancake?

thunder storm wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

Jx9 wrote:

I wonder if they're delaying it due to the loss in sales of the 50 1.2 that'll most definitely happen to some degree. I mean, I'd consider getting the 50 1.2 right now if there was no 1.8 pancake rumor.

I think you might be the only person seriously cross shopping a ~$200 lens with a $2000+ lens. This is a non-issue.

I gave you a thumbs up on this, but honestly... my 50mm 1.8 STM stopped me from buying a the EF 50mm 1.2L. Mostly because I don't use the focal length very often, so "making do" was fine. So its not that far fetched, even if it is a little comical.

I think you not using the FL very often is the main driver here. I.e. if you had no 50, you'd probably go for the EF 50 STM because spending $2300 or w/e on a lens you rarely use doesn't make much sense. If the 50 STM didn't exist, you'd prob get an EF 50 1.4 or Sigma 50 ART/EX.

I'm a sharpness freak, so the ART would definitely been an option, but the focusing issues with some of the Art's put me off a little, as well I've never owned anything but Canon glass.

My two sigma Art lenses are focusing flawless on my R. In fact the 50mm f/1.4 Art is my best focusing lens, better than any Canon lens I own. Sometimes i wonder if tweakable lens firmware maybe is more important than the native brand.......

But the single biggest issue is the EF 50mm 1.2 performance. When compared to the 1.8, it simply wasn't worth it especially at the STM's price. The 1.4 was never an option due to its performance.

Yup, that one exists for no reason, as it isn't an option. And that's why I'm afraid we won't see a good fast focusing 50mm f/1.4 lens from Canon.

I'm just happy to see Canon finally beat the performance of their $100 lens, the fact it took a $2300 lens and a new lens mount to do it is a little disconcerting but, at least they did it.

-- hide signature --

Mike Jackson - Wildlife Photography Enthusiast
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_flickr/

Tazz93's gear list:Tazz93's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Jx9
Jx9
Jx9
Jx9
Jx9
Jx9
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow