New to Canon EOS R, seeking advice on gear

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Croomrider Regular Member • Posts: 478
Re: New to Canon EOS R, seeking advice on gear

thunder storm wrote:

canonfan1 wrote:

I have recently decided to take the plunge and invest in some Canon EOS R gear. Currently, I don't have any, thus will be starting with a blank slate. I have done a lot of reading over the years and while a fan, have not previously owned any Canon gear. Apologies in advance if any of my questions reek of ignorance. I hope to learn as much as I can from the experts on this forum!

I am a serious hobby photographer but do not do this for a living. There are mainly four genres I am interesting in shooting: (1) people/portraits/family, (2) my dog, (3) food, (4) nature landscapes. I hope to take or at least eventually take professional-leve quality photographs in all 4 genres. If it matters, for context, I am also considering going down the social media path.

You have a lot of plans. Note: "Plan" is only the very first step of a cycle: plan do check act plan do check act plan do check act plan do check act (it never stops). As it's a cycle you don't need to make the whole plan at once. All you need is a starting plan. That plan will change, it will see development. The "do check act" will influence your plan in next stages.

Originally, I was thinking of going with this combination: RP body, RF 85mm f/2. I believe this provides good value for money.

After reading and watching a whole bunch of reviews, I am toying with the idea of getting one or some of these: R6 body, RF 24-70mm F2.8, RF 70-200mm F2.8, RF 85mm 1.2.

Reasons for considering R6 body: Saw a few reviews mentioning poor AF on RP. Lack of IBIS and weather-sealing on RP though not sure how important these are.

R6 has the AF you might want for 1 and 2.

Reason for considering RF 85mm 1.2: creamier bokeh than f/2, biggest downside to me is longer focusing distance which might make food photograph more challenging in a restaurant setting?

I'm not sure you would need f/1.2 @ 85mm for food photography. Some food photography isn't about bokeh at all. It's more like product photography: light tents and focus stacking. I would get the 50mm. 50mm is more versatile. Don't worry about depth of field etc. Even with f/2.0 at 50mm DOF is crazy shallow.

Reason for considering RF 24-70mm: could pair well with a 85mm prime?

Reason for considering 70-200mm: could get this instead of a 85mm prime?

For i running dog a 70-200 might be nicer than a slow focusing f/1.2 prime. The RF f/2.0 stm doesn't have the fastest focusing either. The EF 85mm f/1.4 IS USM might be the best option for running dogs, but i would defenitely prefer a zoom with some reach anyway.

Given my needs and thought process, what body/lens combination(s) would you folks here recommend? If you have any insights on some of the thoughts I have above, that will be very helpful too. Thank you everyone!

If you want to shoot your dog while running, i would get the 70-200mm f/2.8 first, and see if you would ever need anything else next to that for portraits. You probably won't. A 24-70mm needs a prime next to it for smoother bokeh, but i 70-200 renders smoother. Note: it isn't about numbers here. At 70mm the 70-200mm gives nicer backgrounds compared to the 24-70mm. And yes, even 70mm&f/2.8 blurres your background enough to get good subject separation in most cases.

If you (still) want an f/1.2 prime, i would get the 50mm over the 85mm, as 50mm is much more versatile, and at these shorter focal lengths the larger apertures are needed more to blur the background enough. Maybe you even won't need an f/2.8 (or f/2.0) standard zoom having the 50mm f/1.2, and add the good and much lighter RF f/4.0 24-105mm. This also kind of justifies the price of the 50mm f/1.2 as the f/4.0 is much more affordable than the f/2.8 standard zoom.

To wrap it up:

R6 + RF 24-105mm f/4.0 IS + RF 50mm f/1.2 USM + RF 70-200mm f/2.8 covers everything nicely if you ask me.

If your dog isn't running that fast, or these are not the kind of pics you had in mind, you might be happy with just the R6 + RF 24-105mm f/4.0 IS + RF 50mm f/1.2 USM. And hey, even your standard zoom has fast AF and 105mm, so if you're satisfied with a 50mm f/1.2 for portraits, it will be fine.

In the end the "do" is the next step, and keep in mind you don't need all the lenses at once to get to that "do" step. Starting with just one lens might change the plan already..... Heck, even 105mm @f/4.0 isn't unusable for portraits.

I agree with most everything said here.

To the OP: In my opinion, with your lack of experience, you need to step into this one step at a time and see what you learn from it. Depending on how much money you want to start with, on the higher end I would suggest the R6 and RF 24-105/F4 L. If you want to start on the low end, the RP with the RF 24-240 is a lot for the money. I have the latter combo, but knew from the beginning I wanted the R5, it's just that availability and cost are an issue for me right now. For me, I know that I prefer zooms 90% of the time for the flexibility they give me. A couple of primes are nice to have for low light or to blow out the background especially with 70mm and under. However, the 24-105 can blow out the background pretty well on the upper end of that focal range on a portrait type shot. When you start talking about less than F2.0 on something like an 85mm lens, the depth of field is very shallow and you may find that you don't want that very often.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow