Panasonic 12-60mm. Lumix G vs Leica DG

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DMKAlex
DMKAlex Veteran Member • Posts: 5,222
Panasonic 12-60mm. Lumix G vs Leica DG

I am currently shooting with Pany GH4 and my primary lens for video is the Lumix G 12-16mm, f/3.5-5.6. I had just picked up a GH5 that comes with a Leica DG f/2.8-4.

I am going to sell the GH4 and one of the lens because there is no need to keep both. My initial inclination was to keep the Leica lens and sell the Lumix.

But after some research, I am now leaning to keep the Lumix and sell the Leica for a lot more money.

It seems that the advantage of the f/2.8 (a half f/stop) is not worth the 3x premium ($200 vs $600 in the used market). The f/2.8 is only available at 12mm. A slight change of focal length immediately kicks in the smaller aperture. The Leica also has the advantage of smoother zooming. But I don't zoom when I shoot. I zoom with post processing which is a lot more steady.

I use this lens primarily for video only. Both lenses are rated very well in other aspects. Anyone can offer an argument otherwise?

DMKAlex's gear list:DMKAlex's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +4 more
Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow