Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 pancake?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
highdesertmesa Regular Member • Posts: 383
Re: Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 pancake?

thunder storm wrote:

justmeMN wrote:

Jx9 wrote:

https://www.canonwatch.com/this-is-the-canon-rf-50mm-f-1-8-stm-the-nifty-fifty-for-the-eos-r/

Importantly, the rumor originated from the most reputable source of information.

Ohw boy, this picture just looks so cheap and bad. After trying the AF of the RF 85mm f/2.0 IS stm i have no illusions this would focus any better...... It will likely be worse. Furthermore: No IS.... no AF switch....

I'm only getting one if it has very good IQ at a very low price. Whereas the EF stm is only 120 euro, this one will easily cost a relatively whopping 300 euro not bringing much more to the table.

Very good IQ, 200 Euro, that might be tempting enough. Otherwise i'll stick with my Sigma Art. It's nice to have something very portable at this focal length, but poor AF speed kills it. The RF 85mm f/2.0 IS stm at least has some other features to make it probably worth to have it in the bag, but this one...... I'm not sure.

It's the problem of RF primes. You'll have either weak AF speed because of that budget stm motorizing or weak AF speed because of f/1.2 glass elements, so if you want fast AF you're forced to use zooms or adapt EF primes. With the 85mm focal length it's less of a problem because the EF 85mm f/1.4 IS USM is a relatively good option, but at the 50mm focal length there's not a whole lot you can do. It seams to me the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art remains the best option here, but really, it's a bit ironic you need such a bulky lens with still relatively large elements plus adapter to get fast AF at 50mm...... and there's still no ILIS.....

It's almost like Canon is inviting Sigma to come up with RF f/1.4 or f/1.8 fast HSM motorized primes. Tamron still has to gets it's act together at least with some lenses and with in camera corrections as it comes to compatibility with the RF mount. The EF Tamron 45mm VC has ILIS, but that one doesn't focus fast either. Maybe a Samyang 45mm f/1.8 could come over to the RF mount to save us? That one has no ILIS, but at least it's compact and it's at least somewhat bigger to at least accommodate bigger motors.

As for now it looks more and more I need a Nikon to get a nice small high grade fast focusing 50mm lens. Why is it so hard for Canon to understand the 50mm focal length needs three types of primes?

Canon will eventually fill out the f/1.4 line with the faster AF motors. Seems like they're targeting both ends of the spectrum before they do the middle.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Jx9
Jx9
Jx9
Jx9
Jx9
Jx9
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow