Dolica tripod not holding camera in set position?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
BBbuilder467 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,888
Re: Dolica tripod not holding camera in set position?

Flycaster wrote:

I have the Dolica Proline GX650B204 tripod (https://www.amazon.com/Dolica-GX600B200-Proline-60-Inch-Aluminum-dp-B004XC3GZW/dp/B004XC3GWU/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?th=1). I am having a problem getting the camera to stay in position when the lens barrel of my FZ1000 is extended. With the camera positioned on target, tightening the proper knob as much as I can, the camera will still slip down a little bit off target. However, when the lens barrel is not fully extended, the camera will stay in position. I'm just an amateur enthusiast and know this wouldn't be a problem with a professional tripod, but I felt this tripod would be good enough for me. Anyway of getting the tripod's head to hold the camera in its set position? Or, am I facing the "you get what you pay for" situation? Thanks.

When you frame and compose with the long telephoto lens, you could be lifting the tripod slightly, so the head could be locked but the tripod is settling. That's often the issue with lightweight tripods. Look to see if the quick release itself doesn't have some play.

Try adding some weight to the weight hook and see if you can tell the difference. If the head doesn't lock down, it should continue to drift down. If you could mount the head directly to a heavy work table, you could tell right away if it was the head itself. It probably does the same thing at wide angle, you just didn't notice.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow