Collapsing Building

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 18,250
Re: WHAT A BUNCH OF BULL!

BrownieVet wrote:

Horacecoker wrote:

What gives you the right to humiliate the OP?
He is a BEGINNER clearly asking for help in the issue of, as he call, "Collapsing Building" which you did not even addressed.
Moreover, all the krap you spewed are nor only irrelevant to his question.

I disagree. His question was directly about particular problem, sure. But the fact of coming here for advice shows an interest in learning; and as appropriate exposure is an important thing to learn it's a good thing to point out his problem.

Pointing out an error isn't humiliating: it's just the start point for helping improvement.

Why does this building look like its collapsing inward? (Leaning backwards)

I run into this problem whenever I'm fairly close to my subject.

What am I doing wrong and what should I be doing differently?

Sides leaning inwards

As other forum members have put you right on your ‘collapsing inwards’ problem. I thought I’d mention a more fundamental problem you seem to have with your photography and that’s your choice of exposure settings. Due to the settings you used the image quality is very poor and it doesn’t need to be. Using an aperture of f/25 on a Canon APS-C camera will result in quite severe diffraction issues that reduce image quality as it’s equivalent to shooting at f/40 on full-frame. Also using an ISO of 3200 is also going to degrade image quality due to excessive noise as 3200 ISO will have the same noisiness as shooting at 8,200 ISO on full-frame. It’s this noise and diffraction combined that as resulted in the poor image quality.

I see you were shooting in shutter priority mode and have set a shutter speed of 1/100 second. In auto ISO the camera would have probably then set an aperture of f/5.6 and an ISO of 200. Thereby eliminating diffraction issues and keeping noise to a minimum. (This is the goal of auto settings on most cameras). But as the image was shot at 3,200 ISO it forced the camera to set an aperture of f/25, I can only assume that you have set this high ISO yourself?

The first thing you need to do is put the camera back to auto ISO!

I would also advise you to use aperture priority, not shutter priority with static images like this.

To get the whole image in acceptable focus an aperture of f/8 would have been fine (f/8 on Canon APS-C sensor is equivalent to f/13 on full-frame for the same depth of field). The camera would have then set a shutter speed of 1/60 and an ISO of 200. The result would have been far better image quality. Even f/5.6 (f/9 on FF) would probably have achieved enough DOF due to the wide-angle focal length the shot was taken at. That would have brought the ISO down to the camera’s native setting of 100 and resulted in the absolute minimum noise.

Here’s a 100% crop to illustrate the very poor image quality I’m referring to.

The above is what the camera produced with your exposure settings of f/25, 1/100 sec & 3,200 ISO. Lots of unnecessary noise, a complete lack of sharpness and no detail in the brickwork due to both noise and diffraction.

If you'd used the camera settings I've suggested (f/5.6 1/60 sec & 100 ISO) the difference in image quality would have been huge!

Something like this below only much better because I can only do so much in post-processing, especially with regards to severe diffraction.

You have a very decent camera and lens but you need to learn the basics regards camera settings to get the best out of it.

-- hide signature --

Gerry
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne
gerry.winterbourne@ntlworld.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow