Sony RX10 IV vs Olympus E-M5 III lens combo

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
techie takes pics Senior Member • Posts: 1,194
Re: Sony RX10 IV vs Olympus E-M5 III lens combo

tugatomsk wrote:

techie takes pics wrote:

I own an M5.III. Yes, the IBIS works as advertised.

I respond to this particular post because I was going to recommend the same lens: 12-100 F4, over the 14-150. The 14-150 is a consumer lens; the 12-100 is a pro lens.
The 12-100 gets nothing but praise. The 14-150... ... thumbleweed ... ... crickets ... probably not a bad lens.

I respect that you hate changing lenses. My advice:

- Don't buy an interchangeable lens camera with one do-it-all lens.

- Either get the Sony (according to reviews, it really is that good). Or get the ILC with a very, very good lens like the 12-100.
Do not try to replicate the Sony.

Personally I never want anything else than an ILC ever again.
Reason: No lens is perfect. Every lens is a tradeoff between price, zoomrange, weight, quality and aperture.
With an ILC, I can optimize 2-3 of those 5 aspects while sacrificing on the others.
With a fixed lens camera, the producer has made that choice for me.

That is the million-dollar question: why pick an ILC if you're not ever going to change lenses anyway? That is the reason I've been scratching my head for so long while trying to make the best decision on how to spend my money on this hobby. Also, the thought of buying an expensive sensor just to stick a poor jack-of-all-trades lens only worsened my indecision.

I guess I'll most likely heed your advice and get the Sony. I still remember a user in this forum saying that his Sony RX10 IV lens "did some black magic" due to how good most of his pictures turned out. One thing I'll miss, though, is the ability to zoom while shooting, something that the Sony can't do. But, alas, there's no free lunch, right?

But this topic of mine also gave me more knowledge - from people who actually own the cameras - about the current technological status of sensor quality and image processing. Thank you all so much.

However, if I did have more money to spend, I'd probably do one of two things:

- Buy an Olympus E-M1 with the 12-100mm PRO lens and the 75-300mm for all occasions and "bear" the occasional need to change lenses;

- Buy a Fuji X-S10 with the new 16-80mm (and probably the 75-300mm) lens for my lonely photo shooting walks (which I plan beforehand the kind of photography I should be expecting) AND still buy the Sony for when I'm out with my family, either on holidays or for Sunday walks.

You may see changing lenses as a chore. Perhaps dangerous (you may drop them. Dust may get inside).

I see changing lenses as an opportunity to adjust my camera to the task at hand.

I also appreciate that lenses hold their value, and they stay with you when you upgrade your camera.

Owning a compact means I bin the entire system when just the camera needs an update - even though the lens is as good as the day I bought it.

Example: My 12-40 Pro lens came out in 2013.
It is as good and as recommended today as it was 7 years ago. It's still being made.
It's not surpassed or outdated.  Second hand price is 70% of the shop-price.  
Since then, there have been 4? 5? generations of cameras, most of which I would no longer recommend to anyone; and which hold little or no resale-value.

techie takes pics's gear list:techie takes pics's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow