Sony 24-105 f4 G vs. Sony 24-70 f2.8 GM... flickr bias

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Austinian
Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 10,755
Re: Sony 24-105 f4 G vs. Sony 24-70 f2.8 GM... flickr bias

charley5 wrote:

Hi Everybody:

I have been trying to figure out which lens to get (mainly for landscapes) and I reviewed a long thread which covered this topic. I even instigated one myself. I was leaning toward the 24-105mm because it is almost or as sharp as the 24-70mm, is much lighter, I will rarely use f2.8, image stabilization, and of course the zoom range is significantly greater. It seems almost a no-brainer.

Yet, when I check the two flickr groups devoted to these lenses, I much prefer the 24-70mm. About 10% of shots from the 24-105mm I consider exceptional, whereas more than half of the 24-70mm I consider to be that. The bottom line is that i really like the look of the 24-70mm pics more. I can't describe why: more pop or 3D effect. I can't really put my finger on it.

But then I thought, well maybe there is an inherent bias operating here. Maybe people who are willing to spend a lot of money on the 24-70mm are also more serious about their photography. Not that you are not if you buy the 24-105mm lens. It is obviously possible to take fantastic pics with it, but they were a small minority in that specific flickr group.

So I am figuring maybe I shouldn't take these groups as serious examples of what these lenses can do. Or maybe the 24-70mm does indeed have a more appealing result to my eye. Interestingly, when I checked the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 group, it fell somewhere in between the the two Sony's as far as appealing to my aesthetic.

Any thoughts?

-Charles

It might be interesting to get someone else to scramble multiple images from the different lenses randomly and present them to you without revealing the lens used until later. That would remove any bias from knowing beforehand which lens was used.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow